Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Calzone Dough


Last month, I added a recipe for Cheesy Spinach Pockets. I remembered as I made them feeling a little guilty buying frozen bread dough since I frequently make my own pizza dough, as well as other breads.

Yesterday I had an afternoon engagement, so I decided to pull up this recipe and make it Sunday for Tuesday's dinner. That way I wouldn't have to rush home to cook. By making it Sunday, with the extra time, I was able to make my own bread dough. If you have a bread machine and use it, or have a bread machine and want to use it, give this calzone dough a whirl. Then follow the link below to make the pocket filling.


Calzone Dough

1 1/8 cups water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt

2 1/4 tsp SAF yeast or 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

1. Combine ingredients in the bread pan of your bread machine in the order according to the manufacturer's instructions. Program for the Dough cycle and press Start.

2. Immediately remove dough from pan when the machine beeps and cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into eight 6- to 8-inch circles. Add filling and bake according to recipe.
The Verdict: There might not have been much difference in taste to everyone else, however, I knew that I was feeding my family fresh, homemade bread. Just that idea alone made them taste better to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment