Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Crispy Fish with Lemon-Dill Sauce

I had a gaping hole in my weekly menu for Sunday night.  I figured I'd pick up some fish and a vegetable, though I wasn't really sure which fish or what to do with it.  Whole Foods quickly answered the which question with pollock fillets on sale for an astounding $3.99 a pound!  A white flaky fish?  I then remembered an oven-fried fish recipe I've been coveting from Cooking Light.  And voilà, dinner is served.

Crispy Fish with Lemon-Dill Sauce

2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
4 (6-oz) skinless cod fillets, or other white flaky fish
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Cooking spray
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
2 tbsp pickle relish
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chopped fresh dill

1.  Preheat broiler.

2.  Place egg in shallow dish.  Combine panko, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder in a another shallow dish.  Sprinkle fish evenly with pepper and salt.  Dip each fillet in egg white, then dredge in panko mixture; place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.  Broil 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

3.  Combine mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice, and dill.  Serve sauce with fish.

The Verdict:  Looks like fried fish, tastes like fried fish, but not a drop of oil is used.

Let me tell you, the combination of delicious fresh fish and crispy coating is amazing.  Plus, the homemade tartar sauce with the hint of dill was phenomenal.  My husband and I enjoyed dipping the fish in the sauce, while my son thought it was a side dish and ate it with a fork. 

The other part I loved about this dish was using the broiler.  Five minutes to coat the fish, eight minutes to cook it.  Can you get any easier?

This is THE recipe when you're in the mood for fried fish.  I can't say enough about how good it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment