Monday, October 4, 2010

Succotash


"Sufferin' Succotash!" That's pretty much my familiarity with succotash; the exclamation of a cartoon cat. Hey, I grew up in Massachusetts. But since Paula Deen suggested it as the accompaniment to Salisbury steak, I figured I'd have a go at it. Yes, it has lima beans it in. And no, I don't particularly like lima beans. But I'm a grown up and tastes change.

Succotash

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (14-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp water
1 (12-ounce) package of frozen gold and white corn

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper; sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Add lima beans, butter, and water; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add corn, and cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, or until beans and corn are tender. Serve immediately or at room temperature.


The Verdict: Lima beans taste like a drier edamame and I like edamame. So I like succotash.

Noyan liked it as well; it was the first thing on his dish that he tucked into. Amir, however, gave it the evil eye and (as you maybe read in the last post) used all of his energy attacking the Salisbury steak like a bird of prey.
In reading up about succotash, apparently there are two versions: this, with corn (and, oh, by the way...the original recipe calls for frozen gold and white corn--I just used corn) or with hominy. And, interestingly, succotash is an Native American word that means "boiled whole kernels of corn." So it sounds to me like the hominy version is the truer recipe, and according to some cooks, the better. Slow-cooked hominy brings out more flavor.

Not sure, folks, but I can say two things. First, I liked this recipe, and second, there was enough to freeze and eat again. So I'll have to report on hominy succotash in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment