Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mini Skillet Meatloaves

So last night I had a choice to make. Get dinner on the table as quickly as possible with a sick, hungry and clinging toddler at my side, or set up for the nightly photo shoot. I chose the feeding the family. So I apologize for the lack of pictures for this recipe. If I make it again I'll edit this page to include one.

Since it was a week of vegetarian meals and fish stew, I thought that our resident carnivore 2-year-old deserved a hit of red meat. This Everyday with Rachael Ray recipe creates individual meatloaves topped with a sweet ketchup glaze.

Mini Skillet Meatloaves

1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely minced
1 tsp chili power
2 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork, and/or veal)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 to 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1. Mix the breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, chili powder and garlic in a large bowl. Add the meat and the salt and pepper, mix with hands until combined. From into 3-to 5-inch loaves.

2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add loaves and brown on each side for 3 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, mix ketchup, cider vinegar and brown sugar in a bowl. Brush a few tablespoons over each loaf when cooked, then add a 1/2 cup water to the pan. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes, or until loaves are cooked through.

4. Transfer meatloaves to a plate. Add the remaining sauce to the skillet, cooking for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meatloaves and serve immediately.

The Verdict: These are called something. Wait...give me just a minute and I'll remember. Oh yeah: hamburgers!

Meh. My husband and I both liked them and Amir, in his typical meat-eating fashion, gobbled down one, ate part of mine and asked for more. But I didn't think there was anything particularly stunning about this recipe that makes me want to eat it again and again.

For me, I didn't enjoy the amount of parsley in it. I'm not a fan of parsley or cilantro, so every bite had that sharp and medicinal taste. I would use less if I make these again; if you like parsley, keep it the same.

While the meatloaves were OK, the side I served it with (Mashed White Beans) was very good. I'll post that separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment