Friday, November 5, 2010

Thai Twist Crock Pot Chicken


So I've had a can of coconut milk in my cupboard for what feels like an eternity. And being in a can, it would probably lasted another eternity. But I just thought it was time to clear out the pantry a bit, so when I came across this recipe, I decided to go for it. I haven't used my crock pot in eons (what's with these measures of time?), so I blew the dust off of it and got cookin'.

Thai Twist Crock Pot Chicken

Chicken breasts--as many as your family needs
Mushrooms, your favorite kind
1 can coconut milk
1 cup good white wine
1 tsp curry powder
1 can of your favorite "cream of" soup
1 can baby peas
1 can carrots
salt and pepper

1. If you prefer, brown the breasts first in a skillet. Otherwise, put chicken into the bottom of the crock pot.

2. Mix sauce in a large bowl: coconut milk, wine, curry powder and soup. Pour over chicken. Drain vegetables and add to the pot. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper.

3. "Turn on and walk away."

The Verdict: Hey! It tastes like...crock pot chicken!

There's a reason my crock pot hasn't been used in eons. This is a bit of a controversial remark among home cooks, but I for one hate my crock pot. I use it here and there and tend to go through crushes on it. Meaning, I'll use it for multiple meals in a row then forget about it again. But there are very few recipes during these phases that I make or find that truly bowl me over.

This recipe tasted fine but wasn't anything to write a letter to your nana about.

I got it off the Internet a while back and I'm not sure of the source. It was written just like it is above: incredibly nebulous. My favorite line is "turn on and walk away" which I put quotations around. I mean, I get that a crock pot is very "set it and forget it" as they say, but seriously? How about a ballpark? How many mushrooms? Eight? Eight cups?

It seems to me that the end result of many, many, many crock pot recipes is meat in a soup. Maybe if my family "needed" (as the author writes) more breasts than three, I'd have avoided a lot of the liquid. Maybe I should have used half cans of coconut milk and soup, then half a cup of wine. Or maybe, as usual, I was just destined to have enough liquid to have a second meal that I could pass off as Thai Twist Crock Pot Chicken Soup. Not that I did that.

The funniest part of the recipe was the bit about using a "good white wine," especially where it's immediately followed by "your favorite 'cream of' soup." Isn't that like putting truffles on a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie?

Anyway....no.

No comments:

Post a Comment